Our clients Power Transmission & Distribution provides asset maintenance and upgrade services for the electricity utility industries operating term and project based contracts for the majority of the UK’s major utilities organisations.
Our clients Power T&D Cable Systems Engineering Department (CSED) based at Crossways undertakes the specification and design of supertension (11 – 500kV) cable system projects to be installed by the Power T&D Operations Department within the UK and overseas.
The position involves carrying out the design of high voltage and extra high voltage power cable systems with detailed design information, initially to allow cost estimating of proposed systems and following receipt of an order to carry out the contract engineering.
The position involves the responsibility, along with other members of the design team, for all aspects of cable system design including electrical, mechanical and installation engineering design.
Under the instruction of the Senior Projects Design Engineer, carrying out the overall system design for all our clients Power T&D Core work enquiries and projects, in accordance with the companies Design Procedure PN/EP/201, National Grid and DNO procedures and standard design rules and procedures as defined by the Cabling Design Manager.
- The preparation of designs and drawings for cable supporting steelwork and associated foundations,
- carrying out loading calculations to prove the adequacy of proposed designs,
- the design of cable installation systems, carrying out pulling tension calculations,
- Liaising with fabricators and equipment suppliers.
- Reading Client enquiry specifications and drawings
- Liaising with Client Representatives and company Estimators and Operations Engineers as required.
- Attending site visits and meetings with clients and / or company staff
- Preparing electrical system designs
- Calculating cable sizes
- Performing rating calculations
- Preparing material schedules/bills of quantities
- Working to international, national and client specifications
- Liaising with suppliers/manufacturers
- Hydraulic calculations
- Identifying designs where standard design rules and procedures cannot be applied, and referring these to the SPDE and / or DM.
- Liaising with draughts persons and other engineering staff
- Checking of work carried out by draughts persons and other Design Engineers
- Liaising with the SPDE / DM and other Design Engineers as required resolving civil, structural, installation etc. design issues.
- Carry out design risk assessments in accordance with CDM requirements and prepare and present Health & Safety files
Skills / Knowledge / Qualifications / Experience
- Degree level qualifications in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience and knowledge of EHV (11kV to 400kV) power systems and equipment and ideally EHV power cables and substation equipment
- Knowledge of substation electrical design
- Ability to interpret engineering drawings and circuit schematics
- Understanding of cable installation techniques
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal skills and highly organised
- Accurate methodical and articulate
- Good communication skills
- Possesses the ability to use AutoCAD
- Holds a full UK driving licence