Purpose of the role
The role will involve working alongside the Head of risk and compliance in identifying and managing the firm's regulatory compliance and professional risks.
The role will also focus on evaluating the firm’s compliance with the SRA Handbook, other relevant rules and legislation. This will include identifying and analysing risks and then assessing if the companies internal compliance controls and policies are operating effectively and recommending ways to strengthen their internal risk structure.
The role will provide support, education and training to build risk awareness within the company.
In conjunction with others, this role will be central to the firm’s commitment to providing a quality service. The successful candidate will be a qualified solicitor or have equivalent legal qualification or be able to demonstrate significant experience of working within a legal practice environment.
The ideal candidate will also have previous experience of managing risk and compliance processes within a legal environment. A detailed knowledge and experience of the SRA and the regulatory framework and associated rules and legislation is essential for this role
Practical experience of working to external quality standards accreditations such as Lexcel, CQS and ISO 27001 or similar would be desirable.
- Serving as a confidential point of contact for all staff to seek clarification on issues of compliance
- Working with the Head of risk and compliance/Risk and Compliance manager to manage the firm’s risk and incident registers
- Assisting the Head of risk and compliance/Risk and Compliance Manager in specific investigations as appropriate
- In conjunction with the Risk and Compliance Manager, prepare regular reports of all trends and issues
- In conjunction with the Risk and Compliance Manager, coordinating the file review process and key dates process
- Supporting the Risk and Compliance Manager in the review of the compliance policies and procedures
- Supporting the Risk and Compliance Manager with the management of the firm’s quality accreditations (Lexcel, ISO27001 and CQS)
- In conjunction with the Risk and Compliance Manager, developing and supporting an effective compliance communication program including promoting the use of the Risk & Compliance Microsite and raising awareness of emerging compliance issues and related policies and procedures
- Undertaking audits particularly to support our ISO27001 accreditation
- Monitoring and considering the impact of regulatory and legislative changes to identify gaps in the firm’s compliance knowledge and being proactive to address those gaps
- Providing input into business and strategic decisions from a compliance perspective, including providing support for tender applications
- Being proactive in providing risk and compliance support to internal projects, such as the development of new IT systems, to ensure that our regulatory responsibilities are met
- Undertaking any other ad hoc duties as required, commensurate with the level of the post
- A detailed understanding of the regulatory framework, including the SRA Code of Conduct, SRA Accounts and other relevant rules and legislation
- The technical ability to identify, analyse and evaluate the impact of regulatory and