An exciting opportunity has opened with our client to join their management team as a Bid Manager. As Bid Manager you would be responsible for management of the bid process including the co-ordination, production and submission of proposals to existing and / or prospective customers. This includes written, presentation and electronic formats together with e-tenders and e-auctions.
You would manage the bid qualification process for new opportunities. Review tender requirements and identify any commercial / business risk associated with customer contracts / terms and conditions. Make bid / no-bid recommendations taking into consideration any issues. Managing all data relating to bids through the companies CRM system and using it to produce regular reports to enable accurate order forecasting, BAM performance monitoring and analysis of market trends.
The Bid Manager works closely with the Head of Private Sector Sales, Sales Managers and Business Account Managers to understand customer needs and produce proposals that exceed customer requirements. You will also work directly with the Technical Manager, Industrial Delivery Team and Operation and Maintenance team to complete consultancy, design & build and O&M tenders for the industrial and commercial sectors. Producing bids on time and in a format that is clear, concise and compelling so as to set the company’s offers apart from its competitors. Whilst working alongside the Finance Team to ensure bids are competitive, cost reflective and accurate.
The Bid Manager will also manage ‘virtual bid teams’ and inputs from a variety of stakeholders. Coordinate, collate and produce quality submissions, bringing in subject matter experts when required. Where necessary become directly involved in final contract negotiations to assist the sales team in winning new business.
The Bid Manager will need to continually develop and enhance bid process so that it is efficient and scalable. Researching and implementing new ways of working to improve the efficiency of bid production, incorporating new products and services to enhance bid quality and efficiency.
- Bid Production
- Bid Co-ordination
- Management of Risk and Governance
- Influence, Coach & Enhance Team Performance
- Management support & Reporting
- Contract Delivery
- Gather, report & act on market intelligence
- Development of service process improvements
- Retention of business revenues through successful tendering / negotiation
- Proactively monitor tender websites / tender communication portals for potential opportunities
Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- At least 5 years of experience in a commercial environment, preferably with some experience of competition in the water industry
- Proven experience and success within commercial / technical bid / tender management
- Experience in technical / solution delivery fields, understanding of water & wastewater legislation / customer commercial drivers an advantage
- Adept at undertaking commercial contract reviews and identifying ways to mitigate business risk
- Strong business acumen
- Experienced in project management
- A sound understanding of sales and marketing principals
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to build excellent customer relationships through all media
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to deliver professional presentations to large groups
- Ability to think both strategically and analytically
- Ability to adapt and challenge
- Ability to work remotely and work using own initiative
- Ability to work under significant time pressure
- Willingness to cover customers based over a large geographical area
- Highly motivated with a positive ‘can do’ attitude
- Broad experience/understanding of water/wastewater company business & regulation – an advantage (but not essential)
- Experience within a utility retail environment an advantage (but not essential)
- Technical/engineering background
The Bid Manager Role will be mainly office based but from time to time will require attendance at external / customer meetings necessitating travel throughout the UK. Occasionally this will involve overnight stays and as submission deadlines approach, it may be necessary to work additional hours, outside of normal business hours and often under pressure.